Every 33 seconds, one child under the age of 13 is involved in a crash, per the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Parents need to be extra vigilant about keeping kids safe in cars so we have just the tools to help!
Purchasing the right seat:
Safe Kids Worldwide and Babies “R” Us are teaming up during the month of September to offer a 25% discount on select car seats (Friday, September 1 through Sunday, October 1.). Babies “R” Us will donate 5% of the proceeds of each car seat sold during the month of September directly to Safe Kids Worldwide.
Selecting the right seat:
On Saturday, September 9, select Babies “R” Us stores will host “Ask the Car Seat Expert” events, during which representatives from Safe Kids will offer personalized car seat recommendations based on a child’s weight and height.
Here in Pittsburgh, visit us from Noon to 4 p.m. and have your questions answered:
• Cranberry – 20111 Route 19, Cranberry Township, PA 16066
• Monroeville – 3700 William Penn Highway, Monroeville, PA 15146
If you can’t join us, visit the Ultimate Car Seat Guide, which offers basic and easy-to-understand tips on how to choose and use a car seat. Features of the site include:
• Easy to understand tips on how to choose and use a car seat
• Best practices to give your kids the best protection
• Advice covering all stages of a child’s development, from the first car seat until the child is ready to ride with a seat belt.
• Two information tracks- personalized for your child or basic information every parent needs to know.
Installing the seat:
NHTSA estimates that 59% of car seats are installed incorrectly, so visit a local fitting station to ensure your child’s seat is properly installed. Child passenger safety technicians will review lots of tips with you.
Remember, car seats are the law!
• Rear-facing until age 2
• Harness or booster seat until age 8
For more information on safety initiatives at Children’s, visit www.chp.edu/injury-prevention.